Friday, April 11, 2008

Mourning on Facebook

I have not joined a mourning group on Facebook, but I have been invited to some. The one I want to talk about is the various VT groups I got invited to right after the shootings. When I was invited I felt that if I joined I would be a fake. I did not feel connected to the situation, so I could not really mourn for it. I know some who truly knew people at VT and was scared for them. However, all the fake people did it just for face. I rejected the invites a little after the media stopped talking about it, and when many people started leaving the groups.

I have seen some of my friends join groups for individuals who died. There were not that many people in those groups, the most was 100 people. Also, I have seen missing persons groups which had more people in them. One later turned into mourning groups because the person they were looking for, was found dead. That group made me sad. On a related topic of mourning groups, it that I have posted my Grandfather's obituary as a Facebook note. My friends gave their sympathies via the comment area, personal message, and wall.

1 comment:

SParker said...

I wonder, did you post the obituary as a way for friends who may have been unaware to read it and send their condolences? I think Facebook has become a way for us to communicate to our larger social network the important things that are going on in our lives. Sometimes it's too much to have to tell each and everyone individually, and that's where I think Facebook makes things easier for us by broadcasting the information we want everyone to know quickly nad efficiently.